First Baptist Church, Crossnore was founded on April 12, 1907 as a mission of Mount Pleasant Church. The first building was a small tin building in the village of Crossnore. Rev. Edmond Johnson became the first pastor and served the church until 1911. From that time until now 20 men have served as pastor in the one hundred seven years of the church's history.
The first church building was constructed in 1912-1913, on the hill across from the street from the present Post Office. This remained the meeting place for the church until 1956 when a new building was completed on the present site. A new educational unit was added in 1970. In 1984, a "Family Life Building" and Office Complex was added to strengthen the Youth and Children's programs and to have a larger place to fellowship. The latest construction was completed in 1996. It included a new Sanctuary with a seating capacity of 600 and new Sunday School classrooms.
First Baptist Church, Crossnore is a mission-minded church with 30 percent of its income going to mission work. The church is a Southern Baptist Church with affiliations with the Southern Baptist Convention, the North Carolina Baptist Convention, and the Avery Baptist Association.
The programs of the church are so formatted that there are Bible studies, mission studies, fellowships, and music for all ages. The church offers Sunday School for all ages, Worship Service and Bible Study, youth, children, and senior adult activities.